Cannellini beans, also known as white kidney beans, are very popular here in Italy. They can be used in a whole variety of ways such as in pastas, salads, bruschetta, soups and meat dishes. They are cheap to buy and are a great addition to a well balanced diet.
Health Benefits of Cannellini Beans
Cannellini beans are high in fibre which can help weight loss as it manages your appetite and keeps you full for longer.
Cannellini beans are rich in protein. 7 grams of protein contained in 64 grams of beans. This makes them great for vegetarians or anyone who wants to cut down on their meat consumption.
Cannellini beans contain no fat whatsoever which is why they are perfect for anyone looking to lose weight.
Cannellini beans help the heart live longer by helping to protect it from the onset of many diseases. These beans are already known to help reduce cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks. They also decrease the risk of coronary heart disease by acting against adverse components absorbed through other unhealthy foods.
Steps for cooking Cannelloni Beans
- Soak the beans in cold water overnight. This is not a must be it does bring down the cooking time.
- Rinse beans thoroughly the next morning and cover with fresh water in a pot. Fill the water to the top of the pot, as the beans will absorb a lot of the water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Once the beans have come to the boil skim off any foam that appears on the top of the water with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for between one and two hours. You will know the beans are cooked when they are soft. Cooking time may vary depending on the freshness of the beans.
- Salt the beans when they are cooked.
- Drizzle some good quality extra virgin olive oil and mix well.