Unlike other legumes lentils are much quicker to cook. Especially red split lentils. They normally take about 15/20min to cook. They don’t need any soaking before cooking just a quick wash in cold running water. I use them a lot when cooking Indian food such a dal. It’s such a quick and easy recipe to prepare its great for when your low on energy and short on time. Like all legumes lentils are high in protein which is great for our health. Easy, fast, cheap, tasty, healthy, what more do you need?
Steps to Cooking Red Split Lentils:
- Pour the lentils into a sieve.
- Rinse them very well under cold running water.
- Remove any debris or stones.
- Put the lentils into a pot and cover with cold water. The water should be about 2 inches above the lentils.
- Bring the lentils to the boil. Once the lentils have come to the boil skim off any foam with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes if you’re using them for a salad or 15/20mins if you’re using them for curries.
- Always salt the lentils at the end of the cooking process.