September is the season for peppers so I’m always looking for ways to use up the extra peppers in the garden. This recipe for Roasted Red Peppers Stuffed with Couscous is great for a light lunch or as a tasty starter. You can prepare them well in advance and all you have to do is pop them in the oven.
This recipe is for 6 peppers. It’s better to prepare them in bulk as they freeze very well. In fact I always have my freezer armed with a few of them in case I’m too tired too cook or if I have last minute dinner guests.
The couscous has a subtle lemon flavouring that I love. Getting the right balance with lemon can be a little tricky sometimes. Some lemons are stronger than others so it takes trial and error to adjust the recommended amount of lemon juice depending on the bitterness of the lemon. Everyone’s taste is different however so you’ll always have some dinner guests happier than others. Personally I prefer when the lemon flavour is mild and simply rewards you with a hint of lemon as a soothing aftertaste.
In any case I’m sure you’ll go back to this recipe again and again. I know I do.
- 6 thick red peppers
- 300g couscous
- 450ml boiling chicken or veg stock
- 4tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 courgette
- grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 50g grated parmesan cheese + extra to for the end
- 250g chopped mozzarella
- 50g chopped hazel nuts
- 1 celery stick
- 10g chopped parsley
- 10g basil
- salt and pepper
- Bring the stock to the boil
- Pour over the couscous with 2tbs of extra virgin olive oil, ½ tsp of salt and cover for 15mins
- While the couscous is cooking chop the courgettes into small cubes
- Heat a medium frying pan and 2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and add the courgettes.
- Fry for 5mins over a medium heat stirring occasionally
- The courgettes should be slightly undercooked as they will be cooked again in the oven
- Grate the rind and juice of the lemons into the couscous
- Add the parmesan, mozzarella, hazel nuts, basil and chopped parsley
- Add the fried courgettes and mix well
- Season with salt and pepper
- Wash and cut the red peppers in half and drizzle a little bit of olive oil onto them
- Stuff the couscous mixture into the peppers
- Sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese over the top
- Place on a large baking tray and cook in a pre heated oven at 200°c for 30mins